Monday, July 18, 2011

Tawnya's Tzatziki Recipe

First step, and what makes mine unique:

I grow my own green onions then I slice about 3 stalks of them and then sauteƩ them before I cool them and then add them to the Cuisinart with the other ingredients.

This is:

16oz of Trader Joe's Plain Greek Yogurt, strained through a cheese cloth to get rid of the extra moisture.
1 cucumber partly skinned but I keep the seeds some people don't, then rough chopped
a small handful (about 10) grape tomatoes
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp lemon zest (optional, if you don't have a lemon replace with cider viengar, or if you don't have cider vinegar, throw caution to the wind and just use any acid (except balsalmic vinegar, its too sweet and syrupy, also, you don't need to add any zest if its not available just focus on the juice lemon or a vinegar).
a bit of course ground pepper and 1/8th of a teaspoon of siracha
I throw in a tablespoon of feta for creaminess and for salt then after I blend it, I add salt to taste.
Fresh herbs are important in this one I used a bit of fresh basil with a touch of cilantro. For that fresh taste and for the look.
at this point our green onions are cooled and should be added as well.


 Pulse the Cuisinart until your preferred consistency, I like creamy but chunky












And this is what you're left with.






Now this is a little step outside of traditional tzatziki but it still uses traditional flavors and its SO good! :)

No comments: